Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Info Post

I was looking for something…something different from the usual winery visits…So I really wasn’t sure what to expect when I called up Marcello Famiglietti one afternoon. 
Marcello…I’ll be in Paternopoli on Friday…Could I stop by and visit your cantina?

We decided on a time..coincidently around l’ora di pranzo…lunch.  

After parking my car in Paternopoli’s centro storico, I walked the stairs that led to a church that sat next to a large iron gate.  Stone walls covered in lush green ivory.  This is it? I thought. Curiosity led me to ring the buzzer.  And subito Marcello came to greet me with a smile.  A smile that said…Welcome to our home, lunch is ready!

A get to know each other lunch with Marcello’s sister, Anna Maria, as well as his parents.  A get to know our family, our cantina, our history.  A lunch of fusilli with tomato sauce and their Aglianico..Temprato Irpinia Campi Taurasini 2007.  Their wine. Their one wine. Their first harvest.

Over the course of that lunch, a walk to their renovated cantina, their vineyards, and their restructured farmhouse I learned a lot about the Famiglietti family…how they have been making wine and oil for years.  Their home is practically a museum of full of antique cooking and agricultural equipment.

How Anna Maria and Marcello, in 1999 decided to embark on a grande mission.  To restructure the family’s cantina…  To start bottling  and marketing their own wine, vin cotto, vino liquorosso, and olive oil…
And their latest adventure…a newly renovated farmhouse located next to their Aglianico vineyards in the outskirts of Paternolpoli.  A farmhouse with three apartments available for their guests who want a full Irpinia Immersion.  Anna Maria, an architect, handled the renovations herself, blending old with the new…a step back in time.  Every angle had a childhood memory.  
Next door, an ancient cappella…chapel.  Silence.  Serenity.  In the midst of the vineyards….

I thought back to my earlier conversation with Marcello…I’ll be in Paternopoli on Friday…Could I stop by and visit your cantina? 

I looked over at Marcello, relaxing on the front porch…eyes closed. 
A slight smile on his face. 

I looked over at Anna Maria, walking through her vineyards…

I really wasn’t sure what to expect when I called up Marcello Famiglietti one afternoon. But I know what I found that day.  Peace…

Peace in Paternopoli…


Piazza Sottochiesa 3
83052 Paternopoli
0827 71023



0 comments:

Post a Comment