Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, February 11, 2013

Info Post
When I walked into Kresios in Telese, part of the Benevento province, Chef Giuseppe Iannotti was on the phone.
 One moment he gestured with a smile.
 No problem, I whispered.  Iannotti was busy.  I expected that. It was Saturday afternoon 15 minutes before lunch service. A  week after his grand opening of Kresios Bistrot, Kresios's gourmet annex.  It was Saturday afternoon 15 minutes before lunch service.  A week before Identita' Golose where he would be participating in three events in two days.
Chef Giuseppe Iannotti

No problem, I whispered again. This time looking past Iannotti.
You see, Kresios is much more than just a place to have lunch or dinner by one of Italy's hottest young chefs of the moment. Surrounding the property is the family's  vineyards...and I wanted to have a look.   It was the perfect time, right after the winter pruning.  Barbera and Falanghina vines stripped down.   Vine cuttings on the ground...


As the wind picked up, it started to sprinkle, and as much as I enjoyed my stroll between the rows of vines, I made my way indoors where Maitre D.  Alessandro Sacco showed me to my table... shared with me the menu.  A menu full of tasty creativity. A menu packed with products  from Campania as well as the rest of the gastronomic world.  Handpicked by Iannotti himself to give his dishes his special touch. Like this welcome....

Octopus with cream of potato, tomatoes, and caper powder
Or a  hello  ..
Fried salt cod tripe and pasta crocche' with 4 cheeses
Then it was time for me to choose:  an appetizer...
club sandwich
a club sandwich 'revisited'.   Fresh salad from Iannoti's garden placed upon a thinly sliced piece of homemade bread.  A quail egg carefully and casually placed between freshly fried potato chips and a tender chicken 'nugget'...

 When it came to wine, I wanted Barbera.  Sacco brought me Armonico 2007 from Az. Vitivinicola Bosco Anna, a small winery just 15 minutes down the road in Castelvenere (Bn).


I needed  a first course to go with my glass of barbera but.instead of a pasta dish or a risotto, as tempting as they looked, I chose a soup...which went perfectly with the blistery weather outside...
chick pea soup with porcini mushrooms, smoked herring, and coffee powder

As far as a second course, well...that wasn't so easy to decide.  I decided to viisit Iannotti as well as the rest of the staff in the kitchen, Eugenio Vitagliano, Cristian Leonetti, and Orsolo Martino.  I observed a relaxed rhythm. Una squadra, a team.  And between a mini lesson on risotto and plate preparaion, I decided.  I decided that my second course would be from the Kb menu....


The new bistrot.  Kresios's new annex.  With a more casual interior design, an easy light gourmet menu.  Perfect for lunch.  My eyes went straight to the burger list...




A hamburger made with marchigiana beef served on a bun toasted right in front of my eyes.  Grilled tomatoes, piennolo from Vesuvius, of course.  Easy toppings; lettuce and homemade condiments including mayonnaise and a tangy purple mostardo.

Dessert? Iannotti asked.
To go, I smiled.  That wouldn't be a problem. I walked over to the Kresios shop and picked out a couple of cupcakes and an amazing three chocolate mousse.

Three desserts, wrapped up in a package.  To take home with me along with my memories of that windy afternoon in Benevento.   An afternoon of vineyards, vino...and gourmet.


  Kresios 
via san giovanni 59, 82037 telese terme | bn
39 0824 940723 

0 comments:

Post a Comment